BUSINESS AND PROPERTY REGISTRATION AGENCY (BPRA)
Zanzibar Business and Property Registration Agency (BPRA) is a Government Institution based in Zanzibar. BPRA was established under Act No. 13 of 2012 in order to replace the functions of The Registrar General’s Office (RGO).
The Business and Property Registration Agency (BPRA) this is the office headed by Mr. Abdulla Wazir Ramadhan is the one of the oldest Government offices, which works under Ministry Of Trade and Industrial Development Zanzibar (MT). BPRA Office is responsible for registration activities ranging from registration of commercial/business entities as well as property registrations. All registrations are done under the provision of their respective legislation such as:
1. The societies Acts No. 6 of 1995.
2. The Business Names Registration Decree Cap. 168.
3. The Succession Decree Cap. 21.
4. The Zanzibar Industrial Property Act No. 4 of 2008.
5. The Registration of Documents Decree Cap. 99.
6. The Companies Decree Cap. 153.
7. The Insolvency Decree Cap. 20.
8. The Estate Duty Decree Cap. 22.
9. The Administrator General Decree Cap. 23.
10. The Transfer of Properties Decree Cap. 150.
11. The Marriages and Devoices (Muslim) Registration Decree Cap. 91.
12. The Marriage (Solemnization) Decree Cap. 92
Before the establishment of the “Wakf and Trust Commission in 1985, the Registrar General’s was also the Administered General of the Wakf and Trust properties. Since the Registrar General’s has become the Administrator General of Non-Muslim Estate”. A part from registration activities the Registrar General’s has also legal duty to maintain registers, index books, data and record on registrations effected by the Registrar General’s Office and thus become a legal custodian of all information and data on the all the above registrations. After amendments the Acts no. 13 of 2012 the offices change from Registrar General’s Office to Zanzibar Business and Property Registration Agency (BPRA). In BPRA the registrations are done under the provision of their respective legislations, such as:-
1. The societies Act No.6 of 1995
2. The Business Names Registration Decree Cap. 168
3. The Succession Decree Cap.21.
4. The Zanzibar Industrial Property Act No.4 of 2008.
5. The Registration of Documents Decree CAP.99
6. The Companies Act No 15 of 2013.
7. The Insolvency Decree Cap.20.
8. The Transfer of Properties Decree Cap.150.
9. Business entity Registration Act No 12 of 2012.
10. Business and Property Registration Agency Act No 13 of 2012.
COMMON REGISTRATION DONE.
1. Company Registration
2. Firms Registration
3. Document and Property Registration
4. Intellectual Property Registration
5. Ngo's Registration
6. Co-operative Registration